Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Enough is enough

Ever wondered how exams really affect your life and leave a deep impression on at least forty peope? Let's analyse the imagery of this short excerpt, which was the first of its kind to have happened in the Land of Robots.

As I stepped into the classroom, I could smell the freshness of the morning air trapped from yesterday's lecture. I was made to share the same air with the forty over students the day before and still sharing it with forty others today in the same cold room. What exactly does it smell like, I wonder? A mixture of sweat, May Yee's sweet and floral fresh perfume, fishy smell of Pirahna, the old man's cologne, the King's freshly ironed coat and of course, the stink bomb which was released somewhere in the air...A concoction of smell to your tantalise your senses.

However, for every second after fifteen minutes, disruptive smells kept creeping out from nowhere, causing me to perform operation "oxygen cut-off" every now and then. It was an ordeal for both "the smeller" and "the releaser". However, the pressure was more on the "releaser" so as not to over-release "unidentified deposits besides unidentified gas" in the classroom.

"Who is "G%&#& releaser?" I shouted in my mind. "If you have the guts, deposit it in front of my eyes!" My prayers were instantly answered. Almost instantly, a strange hissing and growling sound from the front seat caught my attention. He was breathing from between his teeth (instead of his nose)foreshadowing an impending disaster. I wondered why he was responding in such a peculiar way in the ESL exam.

That was then when he decided "enough is enough" and raised his hands for permission and walked awkwardly out of the room, without even having to fill in a form ...

*Note:
The bowel movement syndrome attacks the following people:
a) Those who missed performing a process in the morning; or
b) Those who are too excited when reading the exam questions; or
c) Those who panicked after reading the exam questions; or
d) Those who are too relaxed after finding that exam questions are too easy
You may experience more than one of the above conditions.

Read between the lines for the following:
1. Imagery
2. Metaphor
3. Dialogue
4. Descriptive language
5. Humour (haha!)

No comments:

Post a Comment